Chapter 13: Psychic Intuition
“At the heart of science is an essential tension between two seemingly contradictory attitudes—an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.”
~Carl Sagan, “The Fine Art of Baloney Detection,” 1987
Apart from curiosity about women’s supposedly superior intuition, no idea about intuition seems to evoke more fascination than that of a presumed sixth sense—a weird and wonderful human capacity for reading minds, thinking about someone just before they phone, intuiting what’s happening elsewhere, communicating with the dead….
Claims of Psychic Discernment
- The art of the scam
- Prophetic dreams
Experimenting with Psychic Intuition
What if Psychic Intuition Existed?
Why Do People Believe?
- The power of coincidence
- The media
Science and Spirituality
Links to other websites about psychic intuition
- Carl Sagan’s The Fine Art of Baloney Detection (PDF)
- Q & A with Ray Hyman, from PBS’s Scientific American Frontiers “Ask the Scientists”
- Ian Rowlands’ The Full Facts Book of Cold Reading
- Daryl Bem
- Charles Honorton, ganzfeld procedure
- Julie Milton and Richard Wiseman, article by Scott Lilienfeld from Skeptical Inquirer about their further research with the ganzfeld procedure
- James Randi
- The Committee for Skeptical Inquiry
- Koestler Parapsychology Unit at the University of Edinburgh